Welcome to Star City Pride
Star City Pride is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established to accomplish the following goals:
- To educate and raise awareness of the general public as to the presence of homosexual (lesbian and gay), bisexual, and transgender individuals in their communities.
- To foster an understanding and acceptance of such individuals so as to eliminate prejudice, discrimination and defend human and civil rights.
- To sponsor and promote educational programs and events, including an annual pride festival to foster such understanding and to celebrate the diversity within communities so as to ultimately achieve unity, harmony and equality.
News & Announcements
As follows is the Star City Pride Board of Directors for the 2017 - 2018 year:
- Vadra Stutzman, President
- Riley Huskey, Vice President
- Kimmer Brudigan, Treasurer
- Kephanie Misko - Secretary
- Ashley Wilksen - Sponsorship and Development Director
- Ron Royer - Entertainment Director
- Dan Marquez, Community Outreach Coordinator
TransCanda Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 06/09/2017
Star City Pride
P.O. Box 81703
Lincoln, NE 68501
Star City Pride Declines TransCanada Sponsorship
Lincoln: Star City Pride (SCP) is a community non-profit 501(c)(3) organized to support the LGBTQIA community of Lincoln, Nebraska. An annual festival is held each July for our community and allies to unite and celebrate Pride! This is our largest event to raise awareness for equality in our city, as well as the great state of Nebraska. Our purpose is to foster the understanding and acceptance of all individuals to eliminate prejudice, discrimination, and defend human and civil rights. This two-day event would not be possible without generous support from our sponsors, donors, advertisers, and community!
This year SCP was approached by TransCanada, the company that owns and operates the Keystone XL Pipeline, with a $5,000 sponsorship. That level of sponsorship in our organization entitles the donor company to Official Sponsorship status—name recognition in all press releases and interviews, front entrance signage, the back cover of our annual Pride Guide magazine and beyond.
The SCP Board of Directors, LGBT community, and allies have raised concerns on accepting this level of sponsorship from TransCanada. After much discussion with community members, business owners, and BOLD Nebraska, SCP feels that the organization’s core values do not align with TransCanada’s, as our stance is to defend human and civil rights. SCP officially returned the company’s $5,000 donation via certified mail on June 9.
As SCP is occasionally approached by out-of-state companies for sponsorship, our annual festival is primarily funded by Lincoln and Nebraska communities. SCP looks forward to building stronger relationships with the LGBT community and allies of Nebraska to better our Pride Festival, and trust that this tough decision resonates within the community. Business is business, but SCP stands for the dignity and respect for all. Out of many, we are ONE!
As the July 7 kickoff is but one month away, SCP needs your help to raise the money lost from declining TransCanada’s sponsorship. With nearly $10,000 spent in entertainment alone, the Pride Festival at Lincoln Journal Star Tailgate Lot will be one of the biggest yet. Every donation, sponsorship and vendor booth sign-up is money raised on ensuring the success of this event. Will you step up and support SCP’s decision to put human rights before corporate greed? We need to know you support the LGBT community and SCP—let your voice be heard!
Visit www.starcitypride.org to donate to the cause, sign up to volunteer at the event, learn more about this year’s lineup, or sign your company up for sponsorship or vendor booth. Donations by check can be mailed to Star City Pride, P.O. Box 81703, Lincoln, NE 68501.